Saturday, December 28, 2013

Homemade Pimento Cheese


I adore nothing more than to pack a picnic and one of our family's favorite picnic foods is homemade pimento cheese.  I have always made it very frequently in the spring and summer as I can always find a reason to pack a picnic but, over the past few weeks we have been eating it with several other Holiday favorites and it has been a good fit.

I frequently have friends ask for my recipe and I'm hesitant to share it because it is so simple! For years I responded with you just "make pimento cheese!"  But as time has passed I realize that my homemade pimento cheese really is different from storebought, and I do a couple of things different from most.



So, here you go!

Mix Well ~
8 oz. colby-jack cheese
4 oz. pimentos with juice
approx 1/2 cup mayonnaise 
pepper to your liking 

Now, here are the important things:

  • You MUST shred your own cheese, either with a hand grater or food processor --- do not buy shredded cheese from the store (contains a waxy like substance that dulls the flavor of the cheese).
  • You MUST include all of the juice from the pimentos.
  • Sure, you could use cheddar and occasionally if I am making a large batch for a get together I will mix in some cheddar, but to REALLY experience the GOOD stuff, yeah, stick to colby-jack!
  • Like many foods, pimento cheese it best when served fresh.  It will save for several days in the refrigerator, but if you are making it to impress your friends, then make it just a few hours in advance.
  • This recipe serves 4.....trust me, you are going to want to go ahead and multiply the recipe ~ it's that good. 
  • I HIGHLY recommend Duke's Mayo. It's just the best. No paid endorsement. The end.


There is really no wrong way to serve pimento cheese.  It is excellent on a roll or cracker, but we are a gluten free household so I've been making it and serving it scooped on top of gluten free cornbread (piping hot, straight from the oven).   If you love a fancy grilled cheese then I guarantee you will love pimento cheese on a hot slice of cornbread!

Enjoy this simple and GOOD recipe, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment