Friday, September 6, 2013

Peanut Butter & Apple Crumble

This post is brought to you by the fact that I'm craving fall like a pregnant lady craves pickles ;)  Oh, and my sincere love of baking!  I have always loved to bake (and cook for that matter), but I suppose I am just now really getting in a comfortable routine baking in the kitchen of the old house.  Since working on a homeschool routine with Rooney, I find we do phonics, numbers & letters and read in the mornings, then when Sister-girl naps we BAKE!  The early learning lessons in baking are numerous!  I have him count everything, learn measurements, and see the example of following step by step instructions.  We sing too.  May break into some serious dancing from time to time.  You know, the good stuff.

So despite my love of baking, I have always considered myself zero good at writing recipes....I struggle with truly following the recipe on anything.  I do everything by sight & feel.  I experiment, never write anything down, and then my Lifetime Love begs me to replicate the GOODNESS later, and then I play around yet again to only create something different!

But follow along this time friends.  I took notes. 

Goodness.  This was just GOODNESS, friends.

I was inspired by multiple recipes I had read for Peanut Butter & Apple "bars"....these strayyyed wayyy far off and really created something totally different.



Peanut Butter & Apple Crumble!

Peel & chop 3 small to medium size apples.  Yielding 3 1/2-4 cups of apples. (I highly recommend Gala apples)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine in a small saucepan:
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. natural peanut butter

Stir slowly over low to medium heat, just enough to melt butter and thoroughly combine all ingredients, being sure to remove any clumps from the brown sugar  ((you could also microwave in a small glass dish as well)).

Allow mixture to cool enough to safely add eggs without them scrambling!

In a mixing bowl combine these wet & dry ingredients:
Mixture from saucepan, slightly cooled
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/2 c. milk ((I prefer almond milk))
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 c. flour ((you may use all purpose but I used bread flour))

It's a crumble folks.  No stress.  The order of the ingredients is really not so super important.  Seriously, don't stress.

Fold in chopped apples.

It will not pour like a cake!  The entirety of the combined ingredients will be thick!  With a spatula, dump & press the mixture with a spatula into a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  It should turn a golden brown, but don't allow it to become too brown at the edges....it will firm to the touch ((not hard...got it?)).

While the oven is baking all that goodness, combine the ingredients to create a glaze in a small bowl:

1/4 c. milk  ((I prefer almond))
1/4 c. natural peanut butter  ((if warmed slightly in microwave it will essentially "pour" and mix more thoroughly))
1 c. powdered sugar

Alternate Glaze!!:  use this if you prefer to use honey as a sweetener!!
3/4 c.  peanut butter
3/4 c. local honey  (store bought is much sweeter than local/farmers market honey generally)

Allow the baked portion to cool for 5-10 minutes and then generously pour over the glaze you prepared.

I allowed the crumble to cool thoroughly before serving, but if you really just can't wait....well, I don't blame you ;)

 
 
I've got a really good reason to visit the apple orchard this fall!
 
 
**Be super cautious carrying this crumble to gatherings as some people are highly allergic to peanuts!





No comments:

Post a Comment