Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pallet Art...((of sorts))

 
 
Anything using a pallet is all the rage on Pinterest these days.  I'm guilty as charged when it comes to pinning and repinning everything with a pallet....desk, garden, bookshelf - you name it, I've probably pinned or "liked" it!  I suppose it is my attraction to the "raw" looking wood, maybe?

Well, when the previous owners of our "new" old home moved out, they left a few items for us.  I kinda get the feeling it was "junk" they didn't want to deal with.  Yeah, they didn't know they were selling to a junk lover!

One trip to the basement after closing and immediately I took note of these "pallet-like things" they had left behind.  I'm, you know, not from around here, so I've had a few folks from these parts take a look and asked their opinion --- everyone agrees, they don't have a clue, other than they are "pallet-like!"

Call it what you want.......I just call it love at first sight ;)  My wheels started spinning and as Rooney's room really started coming together "design-wise" I knew it was the perfect spot for the "pallet-like" treasure.

I've had lots of those days lately where my creative brain takes the wheel despite the loads of, oh you know - housework ((insert cringe)), that desperately needs my attention.  So, this little project came together super fast!

The bunting/banner is made from precut pieces I had purchased from a deal site and set aside just waiting for the perfect project to pop up.  They seem to be made from a pressed composite type board and I chose to paint them with Valspar's chalkboard paint so they are essentially reusable.  Painting them was a breeze, but I have done more chalkboard paint projects now than I can count and I have learned that basically the more coats of paint, the better.

I have also gladly given up chalk!  Have you tried a chalkboard marker?  Lifechanging.  I'm a bit obsessed with them and that is probably why I have something chalkboard in over half the rooms of my house.  Chalkboard markers write similar to a dry erase marker, but you will have to "prime" them.  I also highly recommend that you use a "magic eraser" anytime you wish to erase them.  A damp magic eraser and a dry paper towel make all your chalkboard surfaces good as new!  I'm sure most craft stores carry chalkboard markers now, but I have purchased all mine from Amazon (I especially like the ones with a chisel tip).

I explained to my Rooney that I wanted to use this "treasure" to hang photos on.....we discussed what to write on the bunting. His name, maybe?  "Friends, Mom, friends!"  My Rooney is all about his friends  ((and he's truly blessed in that department, with friends far & wide)), so I readily agreed that was a perfect choice.

I freehanded the FRIENDS, though you could easily use a stencil if you wanted.  I inserted ribbon to create & tie the bunting ((resisting my urge to use polka dot ribbon....trying to keep it "boy" looking for my Rooney)).  Added ten-cent pictures I had printed off with push pins, and ta-da!!!

I'm. In. Love.


 
Time to get busy taking more pictures with friends!
 
 
Oh, also these are my favorite. As usual I'm getting paid zilch for this recommendation :)
 
And.....the wall color is KHAKI.... not peach or pink as it appears. Excuse my taking photos at nighttime with no natural light!  This Momma s q u e e z e s in blogging between bathing, supper making, reading, diapering, chasing....ahhh, you get it!


2 comments:

  1. Love it and love having y'all as FRIENDS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely too sweet FRIEND! You are so appreciated!! -K

      Delete