Monday, December 31, 2012

For Sale, One Dreamhouse.


“Say it isn’t true,” my heart says.  But months of prayer has left us with this resounding answer though – who are we to close a door that God opened? 

We built our dreamhome, our forever house, and about a year and a half later we received word that my husbands’ company would be leaving the area in 2013… well, the state to be exact.  That was two years ago.  Two L O N G years of living with this immense weight on our shoulders.  Stay and find another employer.  Go and continue with a prospering company and fulfilling career.  Wow. Say that fast and it seems like a rather simple decision. Cough. I assure you nothing was easy about this decision.

This house, the one that I brought home two healthy babies to… babies, that doctors told me I would never be able to have.  I’ve walked those babies a million miles on these floors, letting the creaks & squeaks soothe them to sleep.  I’ve watched as those babies have taken their first steps here, watched their sweet hands learn to wave to Elmer through the windows and witnessed their special birthday celebrations here.  I’ve watched their little eyes light up time and time again when they ask to see NaNa & Papaw and in mere minutes they have looked out to see them at the doorstep.  I’ve watched my Lifetime Love & Rooney drive for hours across these pastures in the Jeep having “boy time,” and I’ve strolled that driveway in the warm sunshine singing “Jesus Loves the Little Children,” and “Good Old Noah Built an Ark” more times than I could possibly count.  This house, the one so full of memories… so full of GOODNESS.

I’ve perhaps seen the best and maybe the worst of every season in this house, both literally and figuratively.  Our first spring here was filled with rain and we saw flooding that those who have lived in this area their entire lives say has only occurred a couple of times.  I’ve stood and watched as a destructive tornado rolled by on the ridge across from us and delighted in a white Christmas that I will never forget.  Every fall here has been a spectacle, watching the leaves change through thirty windows in this farmhouse, smack in the middle of a pasture has only deepened my love for trees and leaves.  The summer season here has taught me I’m no gardener. In this house we have felt love grow deeper than we ever knew possible between us, we’ve seen new friendships blossom here, and together we have shed tears over the loss of both family and friends to cancer.

This house, the one where we chose absolutely EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL.  I completely rearranged the kitchen and had the cabinets custom made to coordinate with my favorite bookshelves.  I’m certain we changed something on the plans in nearly every room, even deleting windows, though you would never guess that with thirty remaining!  I lived with my nose in farmhouse books, being sure that all the details were true to form.  I shed a tear or two designing the stairs, newel post, and mantle – they were so very important to me! Every paint color, stain, cabinet, knob, faucet, fixture, appliance, window, door…well, you get the idea.  Every. Single. Detail.   Rosewood countertops, oh how I will miss your beauty!  This house, the one so full of memories… so full of GOODNESS.

This house has been a blessing to our little family and we are praying that it will bless the next family who chooses it.  I can tell you that never in my dreams did I ever think I would be writing an announcement telling friends we were moving to Alabama… but I can also tell you that never did I dream I would be so fortunate as to actually own my dreamhouse before turning thirty.  We are “house people” afterall, so we would be lying if we said we weren’t excited about starting a new journey with a new house.  Prayer has brought us a great deal of peace and understanding and while I readily acknowledge that there are difficult days ahead in this process of selling our home and saying goodbye to it, I know that in this world where I have friends who have lost either a spouse or a child to an illness, this friends is nothing to worry over.  If this is the battle chosen for me, then how blessed I am!  I’m choosing to see the GOOD and ask that you join me. 
 

This house, the one so full of memories… so full of GOODNESS is for sale.

6 comments:

  1. Katy, I love your perspective! You always challenge me with your blog posts to see the GOODNESS in every situation. I love you, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaclyn for such a kind comment! I think I'm going to have a sign made to decorate the next house with that says SEE THE GOODNESS... it's my goal for 2013!

      Delete
  2. You have such a contagious positive outlook on the situation and on life! We too went through a very similar situation with our previous home. It wasn't easy but God was right by our side the whole way. That was a great comfort to me. I hope it comforts you too! And just think, a new home to decorate, paint and make your own....oh the fun challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky- Thanks so much friend! I read your blog post on saying goodbye to your home... definitely something lots of Momma's can relate to! I have a lot to look forward to - new friends and a new house! Yes, going to be so much fun! So thankful I have the blog to document all the fun home stuff!

      Delete
  3. Katy I so enjoy following your blog and your life. What a great family role model you guys are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I modeled my floors and kitchen cabinets from your's. :)

    ReplyDelete