Monday, August 13, 2012

14 on the 14th

This month I am doing 14 on the 14th differently... time to change it up!  This month I am posting 14 "pins" that I have tried successfully from Pinterest!  I am a firm believer that Pinterest should be used as an actual tool to better us... pin and then get busy trying some of those great ideas!  Hope this list will benefit you all -  Katy


1.  White Bean Chicken Chili from Annie's Eats - (available on my Supper's On board)  Without a doubt one of my favorite meals!  Thanks Kellee Gilpin for bringing this when I returned from the hospital with JC... I have been hooked since then!


Pinned Image



2. Alphabet Spoons from "From Kindergarten With Love" blog - (available on my For my J babies... board)  I just recently made these for my Rooney and they are GREAT!  Excellent educational entertainment while I am cooking meals!




3. Owl Craft (Project) from Small Magazine - (also available on my For my J babies... board)  Rooney & I made these recently...he really had fun with them!  We modified the owl slightly - I had thin cork leftover from another project so we used it for the body of the owl.  Rooney colored the cork, we then glued on the "carton eyes" and inserted the little "googly eyes" that you can purchase at the Dollar Tree or from the craft section of any big box retailer.  Owls are so popular now, I couldn't resist an owl craft!


6a01156f18fbb3970c01543385225b970c 800wi DIY Egg Carton Owls


4. (Italian Sausage) Spaghetti Pie by Unsophisticook - (available on my Supper's On board)  Let me preface this by saying I do not like 'fennel' and therefore traditionally don't like Italian Sausage.  This may be the one dish that has converted me.... it has forever changed the way I look at spaghetti.  My waist wishes I had never found this recipe.  Please accept my apologies now.



Pinned Image


5.  Convicted: A Scientist Examines the Evidence for Christianity by Brad Harrub, Ph.D - available on my Goodness Worth Reading board & available for purchase through Amazon.  GREAT READ.... read & study the evidence, you will walk away empowered & CONVICTED!

Pinned Image

6.  The Noticer by Andy Andrews - available on my Goodness Worth Reading board & available for purchase through Amazon.  This book is SUPER! A few people in the reviews stated that it didn't give a huge list of things to change to really get your life in order... well friends, thats what the Bible is for! This book is simply a very motivational easy read that teaches "it's all about perspective."


This book is SUPER!  A few people in the reviews stated that it didn't give a huge list of things to change to really get your life in order... well friends, thats what the Bible is for!  This book is simply a very motivational easy read that teaches "it's all about perspective."


7.  DIY Gardener's Hand Scrub featured on One Good Thing by Jillee - (available on my Momma Loves DIY board.)  This is so simple!  Such an easy gift!  Hobby Lobby sells adorable little jars of various shapes & sizes perfect for this scrub. 



Pinned Image


8. Organization: Using Creamer Bottles - (this pin is available on my Homekeeping 101 board & unfortunately it says image was uploaded by user, so I'm unsure which site to credit this with...)  This is really such a simple idea....why had I never thought of this, right?!  When Sister-girl was in the early stages of introducing foods I discovered these were the BEST containers to keep 'puffs' in.  Typically these containers are super easy to clean and I am all for reuse of items that could possibly just end up in the landfill. 


Pinned Image

9. Remove Splinters with Baking Soda - (this pin is available on my Homekeeping 101 board)  Wow!  I was hugely skeptical, but this works great also!  Twice in the past month I have mixed a small amount of baking soda with a drop or two of water, placed the thick paste over Rooney's splinter, then just applied a band-aid over it..... after 1-2 hours the splinter has been backed out where I could just pull it out with tweezers.  Mommy tested, Rooney approved!  Note that the tutorial says to leave the paste on for 24 hours, I have yet to find that necessary, but obviously the longer you can leave it on, the easier it is to remove.  Also, the tutorial suggests that if the area is still painful to apply Baby Orajel to numb the area....what a great idea!


Remove a splinter with baking soda is best for tiny, invisible splinters. Using a baking soda paste it will cause the skin to swell and push the splinter out.  WORKS -KJ

10. Cereal Canister as Trash Can for Car from bhg.com - (available on my Homekeeping 101 board)  Clearly I have a thing for organization!  I did this months ago and we love it - having a lid makes it a great solution for the LOADS of trash kiddos seem to create in the car! 

Cereal canister trash can for the car = AMAZING.

11.  Homemade Laundry Soap by Being Creative to Keep My Sanity blog -  There are LOTS of laundry soap pins out there (as you likely know).  This is the "recipe" I chose to use after researching it for HOURS....this recipe made sense to me.  I am approaching my one year mark and this is honestly the ONLY laundry soap we use.  I made my first "batch" in early September 2011 and I have yet to run out.  Talk about saving some $$$!  (search 'laundry soap' on Pinterest & use this picture to find the one I recommend, or visit the blog to directly pin....it was one of my first few pins so it could take you forever to locate it to repin!)






Pinned Image

12.  Pillow Case Floor Mat - One of the easiest craft projects I have ever completed!  I sewed together pillow cases that I purchased from Wal-Mart, inserted pillows, then attached velcro to the "open" ends of the pillow case, allowing the pillows to remain removable for the cases/mat to be washable.  We have used this mat for the kiddos to lay on to watch movies and currently I am using it in a reading corner for the kids.  Note:  The "pin" says to sew 5 cases together.... I say do the math & take into account the size of your children, 3-4 cases is likely the most you will need :)   The link for this was corrupted, so there is no one I can give credit to, and it would no longer allow me to repin the image.  Trust me, it is E A S Y !!!


Five pillow cases sewn together, insert pillows --- wow, this I think is genius!

13. Homemade Granite Cleaner by Cleverly Inspired - Works awesome, I use on my granite as well as to clean my glass stove-top & stainless steel fridge.



homemade granite/countertop/anywhere cleaner (except painted wood) @cleverlyinspired

14.  100 Days of Real Food Blog - (available on my Blog Goodness board)  I started following this blog over a year ago... it is a real eye opener... lifechanger, folks!  I am taking baby steps, but I LOVE the goodness that this site shares!  I follow it on Facebook also, and it serves as daily inspiration for me --- I am so much more aware of what I am feeding my family! 






Lisa Leake, 100 Days of Real Food - lifechanger folks, such a wealth of knowledge



Thanks for stopping by friends, your support is greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment